Best loyalty cards 2024
If you're a budget-conscious shopper, your wallet is probably filled to the brim with loyalty cards. But are you taking full advantage of the perks?
With more and more shops fighting for your custom, loyalty cards and reward schemes are popping up left, right and centre to entice you in.
They might seem like a waste of time, but in some cases, you can make some serious savings just by showing a little bit of plastic (or an app) every time you reach the till. So, make sure to take advantage of this.
Of course, not all loyalty cards are as good as each other. We've ranked some of the most well-known ones by their value for money and given our reviews. You can thank us later.
Best loyalty and reward cards
Here are the 14 best loyalty cards:
|Getting discounts and redeeming points with Tesco’s Rewards Partners (e.g. Pizza Express, 16-25 Railcard, etc.)
|Getting discounts and other good offers on the Nectar website
|Boots Advantage Card
|Superdrug Health and Beautycard
|Using points for part-payments
|Generous point scheme
|Points don't reset when you claim rewards
|£10 off after every £100 you spend
|2p of every £1 you spend on Co-op products can be put towards your future purchases at Co-op food stores
|Starbucks Reward Card
|Freebies after you reach certain 'levels'
|Costa Coffee Club
|Beans can be used to get free drinks
|Free coffee for referring friends
|IKEA Family card
|Freebies and discounts in store
|10% off your first purchase
|Freebies and vouchers
Loyalty card reviews
Here are the best loyalty cards and everything you need to know about them:
How do you get Tesco Clubcard points?
You'll earn points on your Tesco Clubcard every time you make a purchase either online or in-store. You'll also earn points if you have a Tesco credit card or have an account with Tesco Mobile.
You'll earn one point for every £1 you spend (or one point for every two litres of fuel you buy).
How much are Clubcard points worth?
Every point is worth a penny when you're buying items in Tesco. However, you can also trade them in for discounts at a huge range of high street stores and brands, making them stretch even further.
You'll receive vouchers based on the number of points you've collected every three months (usually every February, May, August and November).
Or, you can sign up for Faster Vouchers on the Clubcard app or website to get your points converted into vouchers within 24 hours (except during the two-week period before your Clubcard statement's ready, which is issued at the same time as your vouchers).
You can either spend the vouchers in Tesco as they are, or use the codes on the vouchers to spend them with one of Tesco's Reward Partners instead – often doubling the value of your points.
Best way to spend Clubcard points
Rather than using them in Tesco, we would definitely recommend cashing your points in for discounts with a Reward Partner to boost your points.
For example, you could turn every 50p you have in points into £1 to spend in Zizzi, Pizza Express or other restaurants.
Extra ways to earn Clubcard points
- Tesco Mobile – If you're a Tesco Mobile customer (including SIM only), you'll be racking up one Clubcard point for every £1 spent on your bill. Just make sure you register your Clubcard to your account.
- Tesco Bank Credit Card – You'll collect one extra Clubcard point for every £4 spent in Tesco stores, and one point for every £8 spent outside of Tesco.
- Tesco Pay+ – This app lets you store your own credit/debit and Tesco Clubcard in one place, so you can pay quickly at checkout and automatically collect your points.
- Tesco surveys – We're big fans of paid surveys, and Tesco will give you 25 Clubcard points for completing a short survey on your latest shop with them.
- Esso petrol stations – Fill your car up at any Esso forecourt with a Tesco shop and you'll earn one point for every £3 you spend on fuel. You can also get one point for every £1 spent on qualifying purchases at these destinations, including shop products and car washes.
Discounts with Clubcard Prices
As well as collecting points for vouchers, having a Clubcard can also make your shopping bill a great deal cheaper. Tesco has marked selected products with Clubcard Prices of up to half price off. All you have to do is fill up your basket, scan your Clubcard, and they'll take the money off at the checkout.
What is Tesco Clubcard Plus?
Clubcard Plus, not to be confused with Tesco Pay+, is yet another way to shop with Tesco and reap extra benefits, including:
- 10% off two in-store shops a month
- 10% off selected Tesco brands (including F&F clothing and Go Cook)
- Double data on any monthly Tesco mobile contracts
- Access to Clubcard Plus credit card.
Clubcard Plus is a monthly subscription costing £7.99. It can be cancelled at any time, and Tesco is offering a free one-month trial at the time of writing.
Drawbacks of the Tesco Clubcard
Tesco will deactivate your account if it's unused for more than two years. Most vouchers have an expiry of two years as well, although you can find the exact expiry date on your voucher.
Where can you collect Nectar points?
The Nectar card is best known as Sainsbury's loyalty card, but you can actually collect points from hundreds of different brands including Argos, eBay and Expedia. Please note that with many of these, you can only collect points when you shop online.
See the full list of Nectar participating brands.
At Sainsbury's, you'll earn one point for every £1 you spend. This can vary across brands though, so check the Nectar website for the rate for each store.
How much are Nectar points worth?
Again, how much Nectar points are worth when redeeming them varies depending on where you're shopping. In Sainsbury's, one point is worth 0.5p, so 500 points will get you £2.50 off your shop.
This is the going rate across most stores, but in some cases, your points might be worth more.
Best way to spend Nectar points
To get the most out of your Nectar points, check the Nectar website for special offers.
There are some good deals on there, but don't let this dictate where you spend money. Your Nectar points might be worth more if you use them at a particular shop or restaurant, but if you had no intention of going there, are you really saving cash?
Extra ways to earn Nectar points
- Nectar credit card – If you have the Nectar American Express credit card, you'll earn two Nectar points for every £1 you spend on the card, in addition to any regular Nectar points you would have earned with that purchase (e.g. if you were shopping in Sainsbury's).
- Nectar app – According to the Nectar website, the average customer earns 3x as many points with their app. Other benefits include weekly personalised offers to help you earn extra points, accessible balance updates and a digital barcode so you'll never forget to swipe your card.
- Nectar Canvass – Sign up for Nectar Canvass and complete surveys to earn Nectar points. This is a great way of earning points without having to spend a penny (and remember there are plenty of other ways to earn money from surveys).
- Check the Nectar website – They sometimes have special deals and promotions where you can earn bumper points, or even earn points without having to spend anything.
Discounts with Nectar Prices
At Sainsbury's, you can now also benefit from discounted items with your Nectar card. Similar to Tesco's Clubcard Prices, Nectar Prices give you discounts (some even half-price) on products if you scan your Nectar card at checkout or use the Nectar app.
Drawbacks of the Nectar card
Nectar card points are only worth around half of what Tesco Clubcard points are worth, having dropped the rate by 50% back in 2015.
What's more, if your account remains inactive for 12 months, your points will be wiped.
How do you get Boots Advantage points?
You'll earn points every time you make a purchase at Boots online or in-store. You'll receive three points for every £1 you spend, so a £20 spend would get you 60 points. This makes the Boots Advantage Card one of the most generous on the market.
How much are Boots Advantage points worth?
Every point is worth 1p to spend in-store or online, so the 60 points from a £20 spend would be worth 60p.
To use your points, just show your card at the till and ask to pay with points, or select the Advantage card icon at the checkout when shopping online.
Extra ways to earn Boots Advantage Card points
- Boots app – If you download the Boots app and make a transaction, you'll earn 200 points. You'll also be able to use your Advantage Card on your phone.
- Mega Points Weekends – These are special events where you can earn a bunch of extra Advantage points for spending over a certain amount in-store or online – 1,000 extra points for spending £50, for example. If possible, delay purchases until these events so you're only spending money on things you actually want. And for even more points, split up your shop into separate transactions to get the bonus multiple times.
- Tailored offers – Check the Boots app, your emails and your account page on Boots.com for tailored offers, which often include bumper points for buying specific items.
- Price Advantage – All Boots Advantage Card holders now also get exclusive lower prices on a selection of products every month. Keep an eye out for the pink Price Advantage cards in your local Boots and online.
- Student discount – This isn't a way to earn extra points, but you can only get a 10% student discount at Boots if you also hold an Advantage Card.
Drawbacks of the Boots Advantage Card
You can't earn points on prescriptions, powdered milk products, gift cards, gift vouchers, plastic bags or insurance.
You also can't use your Advantage points to part-pay for an item. Instead, you need enough points to cover the entire cost.
For example, if you're buying a £4 mascara and you have 400 points on your card, you'll be able to get the mascara for free. But, if the mascara costs £4.99, you won't be able to use your points and pay the remaining 99p.
If your Advantage card is inactive for one year, your points will be wiped.
How does the Superdrug Health & Beautycard work?
Like most loyalty cards, the Superdrug Health & Beautycard comes both as a physical card and as an app.
Use it when you buy in-store or online, and you'll earn one point for every £1 you spend. Save these points up to get money off your next purchase.
How much are Superdrug points worth?
You can only spend your Superdrug points in multiples of 100. 100 points will get you £1 off, 200 points will get you £2 off and so on...
This does mean you have to spend quite a lot to get any discounts, as a £100 spend will only get you a quid off your next shop.
However, the best thing about the Superdrug loyalty card is that, unlike the Boots Advantage card, you can use your points for part payments. So you can buy something that costs £4.99 and use 200 points to get £2 off, paying the difference (£2.99) yourself.
Why should you get a Superdrug loyalty card?
- Bonus points (50, 100, 200 or 500) when buying selected products or on special events
- Every week, Superdrug runs Treat Thursdays, offering exclusive discounts on a certain product/category to Health & Beautycard holders
- Free standard delivery on orders over £15
- Triple points as a birthday treat.
- You'll need a Health & Beautycard (along with a UNiDAYS or TOTUM card) if you want to take advantage of the 10% student discount at Superdrug
- Lower prices for members on selected products (these change every few weeks).
Drawbacks of the Superdrug Health & Beautycard
You need to use your card once every 12 months or your account will be closed. Points are valid for 24 months before they expire.
And, since you have to spend your points in multiples of 100, 190 points will still only get you £1 off your shop (until you spend another £10 to reach 200 points).Don't confuse loyalty cards with store cards, which can encourage excessive spending.
How does Subway Rewards work?
Once you've registered your Subway Rewards card (which comes in card or app form), you'll receive one point for every 10p spent in the UK.
If you haven't registered your card, you'll have to spend 20p to get a point (and you won't be able to redeem your points for freebies).
How much are Subway Rewards points worth?
You can download the app to check your points balance. Here's what you can buy with your points:
- 100 points – Free hot drink
- 200 points – Free snack
- 500 points – Free six-inch sub, flatbread or salad
- 1,000 points – Free footlong sub or flatbread.
Extra ways to earn Subway Rewards points
- Register your card – New members can earn double points during the 28-day welcome period when registering online or via the app.
- Subsquad – Using the Subway app, you can invite up to eight friends into your Subsquad. When someone in the group makes a purchase, everyone in the group will receive a notification. If you buy a Sub within four hours, you and the original purchaser will get 50 bonus points each.
- Promotions and offers – Throughout the year, Subway will offer a whole host of deals to Subway Rewards members, often involving free points or free sides/drinks when you scan your card.
Drawbacks of Subway Rewards
You can only have 5,000 points on your card at one time, so you'll have to keep spending those points as you go along if you're a serious Subway enthusiast. You'll also lose your points if you don't use your Subway Rewards card for a year.
I love the Subway Rewards card! In between the Subsquad bonuses and the double points every time you return within seven days, I used to be able to pay for my Subway Monday to Thursday and get it free on Fridays.
Of course, after a while I got a bit sick of Subway, so now I go less often. But it just goes to show how generous the points scheme can be if you know how to play it.
Tom Allingham, Communications Director at Save the Student
How does the Nando's Card work?
With a Nando's Card, you'll earn a 'Chilli' every time you spend £7 or more on your meal.
You need to register your card online or on the app first, and you'll receive a bonus Chilli for doing so.
You can only collect one Chilli per customer per day, so even if you spend £14, you'll still just get one stamp. So, if you're dining with a fellow Nando's cardholder, make sure you pay separately to maximise Chilli earnings.
How much are Nando's Chillies worth?
When you earn a certain amount of Chillies you'll be able to claim a reward. Here are the freebies you can get with a Nando's Card:
- Three Chillies (Green Reward) – 1/4 chicken, three chicken wings or starter
- Six Chillies (Orange Reward) – 1/2 chicken or any single wrap, burger or pitta
- 10 Chillies (Red Reward) – Whole chicken or single combo meal with regular sides or a salad or bowl.
When you claim a reward your points don't reset – you just keep making your way towards the next reward (until you claim your Red Reward, at which point the process starts all over again).
In other words, if you've accumulated three Chillies and claim your reward, you'll still have three points, and you'll only need to make three more eligible purchases to reach the next reward level.
Drawbacks of the Nando's Card
Bear in mind that Chillies only last for up to 366 days from the date they're acquired, so make sure you spend them in time.Check out our list of Nando's hacks for more ways to save on your chicken feast.
How does Waterstones Plus work?
With Waterstones Plus, you'll earn one 'Plus stamp' for every £10 you spend in-store or online, and every 10 stamps will add £10 to your Plus balance. For spends between £5 and £9.99, you'll earn half a stamp.
So, broadly speaking, for every £100 you spend, you'll get £10 off – and this includes money spent in the cafe.
And, with a Waterstones Plus Student card, you'll get an extra 5% off all purchases, along with collecting the Plus stamps.
Drawbacks of the Waterstones Plus card
You won't earn stamps when buying gift vouchers, book tokens, theatre tokens, postage stamps and event tickets.
You also can't use the 10% student discount with UNiDAYS when you have a Plus card linked to your account. You have to settle for the 5% Waterstone Plus Student discount, which is frustrating.
Finally, if your card or Waterstones account is inactive for 12 months, your stamps will be wiped.
How does Co-op Membership work?
When you buy selected Co-op branded products and services, 2p of every £1 goes into your Co-op Membership account.
You can then spend this on anything in Co-op food stores (not just own-brand products).
Why should you get a Co-op Membership card?
- Help a worthy cause – With a Membership card, for every £1 you spend, 2p will be donated to local causes in your community (and you can choose your own local cause, so you know exactly who you're helping).
- Exclusive offers – As a member, you'll receive many offers and discounts. You'll also get an exclusive discount on Co-op services, like insurance and legal services.
- Personalised offers – Each week the offers change and you can select those that suit you best and use them during your shop.
Drawbacks of Co-op Membership
You won't earn points on several things from Co-op stores, like non-Co-op branded products, fuel, postage stamps, cigarettes, clearance items and carrier bags. You can see the full list of excluded items in their T&Cs.
Co-op membership costs £1 to join and that doesn't count towards your points, although you can begin using your points immediately after joining.
How does the Starbucks Card work?
The Starbucks Card is slightly different from other loyalty cards, in the sense that you need to load it up with cash before you use it. However, you can now get all the rewards previously only associated with the Starbucks Card, simply by downloading the Starbucks app.
Once you've registered and activated your Starbucks Card (minimum £5) or downloaded the app, you'll earn 'Stars' for every beverage you buy.
You'll earn three Stars for every £1 you spend. These Stars stack up and, once you've collected enough, you'll earn a reward – including free coffee.
How much are Starbucks Stars worth?
What you get for your Stars depends on what 'level' you're on. Once you've registered your card or downloaded the app, paid with your card and earned 25 stars, you'll become a Green Level member, which means you get a free drink for every 150 stars.
Once you earn 450 stars within a 12-month period, you've reached Gold Level. You'll receive the same as Green Level members, but each time you purchase a drink in-store, you'll be able to add some extras to it for free.
Free extras include selected syrups, extra shots of espresso and whipped cream (or a combination of them all).
As a gold member, you can also enjoy a free birthday drink!
Extra ways to earn Starbucks Stars
Sign up for My Starbucks Rewards email updates and you'll get special offers on your favourite items.
You may occasionally be offered a bonus star if you buy a particular product during a promotional period. But, be careful not to buy anything just to get the extra star. Only buy something included in the promotional offer if you actually want it, otherwise, you're wasting money.
Drawbacks of the Starbucks Card
Once you become a 'Gold Level' member, you have to keep earning at least 450 stars a year to maintain access to your extra benefits.
With the physical Starbucks Card, there's the added pressure to shop at Starbucks, as you have to top up the card with money in advance. This means you're committing to spending a certain amount there. We'd therefore suggest sticking to the app.
Plus, if your account's been inactive for two years, your stars will expire.
Essentially, this card is only worth getting if you tend to use Starbucks a lot anyway.Collecting stars with your Starbucks Card is just one of the ways to get free Starbucks coffee.
How does the Costa Club work?
Pick up a card or download the app to register. Then, remember to show your card every time you spend in-store, and you'll get one bean for every drink you purchase.
You can also collect beans at Costa Express machines, which you'll often find in supermarkets or service stations.
How much are Costa Club beans worth?
10 beans will get you one free drink in-store. While you can earn beans at the Costa Express machines, you can't use them to redeem your free drink.
Or, to get your free drink faster, each time you use a reusable cup in store you'll get an extra bean. That means you can actually get a free drink for every five you buy, all whilst helping save the planet!
Why should you get a Costa Club card?
- Jump the queue – If you're near a Costa Coffee branch, you can speed up the ordering process by using their mobile app. All you need to do is make a purchase on the app, then pop into the coffee shop to pick up your order.
- Exclusive offers – Coffee Club cardholders can get money off rewards or earn extra beans, plus a 'Treat Drop' surprise every month, so keep an eye out on the app.
- Free cake on your birthday – Who doesn't love a birthday freebie? When you sign up for the Costa Club, you'll get a free slice of cake on your birthday.
Drawbacks of the Costa Club card
You cannot use your card or app in conjunction with other discounts or privilege cards issued by Costa or another third party. And once you collect 10 beans, you only have three months to get your reward. Otherwise, Costa may remove your beans.For more ways to get free drinks at coffee shops like Costa and Starbucks, check out our guide to free coffee offers.
How does the Caffè Nero App work?
Similar to the Costa Club scheme, if you download the Caffè Nero App, you can earn a stamp for each purchase of any of their handmade drinks. They also sometimes award free stamps for other promotions and offers on the app.
When you sign up via the link on our deals page, you can get a free coffee. You can also get a free drink each time you refer a friend to the app and they make a purchase.
If you link your debit or credit card details to the app, you'll be able to get quick and easy payment and take advantage of their click and collect service. Just select the store you wish to purchase from, make your order and you'll get a notification when it's ready to pick up.
How much are Caffè Nero stamps worth?
When you collect nine stamps, your next handmade drink will be free. This can be any size! So make sure you max out on your freebie.
Like Costa, Caffè Nero also offers an extra stamp for using a reusable cup. So check the Barista adds this on when you pay.
Drawbacks of the Caffè Nero app
Once you've received your free drink award for a fully stamped loyalty card, the award will only be valid for 18 months. However, we feel that's plenty of time for you to cash out on your free coffee!To collect your stamps and earn your free drink for even less, check out the Meerkat app, where you can get 25% off barista-made hot and cold drinks twice a day, all year. Find out more about Meerkat in our guide to the best money-saving apps.
IKEA Family card
How does the IKEA Family card work?
You don't actually earn points with an IKEA Family card but, instead, the card gives you automatic discounts and access to other incentives.
Why should you get an IKEA Family card?
- Free hot drinks – If you're in an IKEA store any time Monday to Friday, you can get a free tea or filter coffee. And we never say no to free food and drink.
- Events & Workshops – Members get access to extra furnishing tips and knowledge which is invaluable for making your student room feel more like home.
- Exclusive discounts – Family cardholders get exclusive discounts on selected IKEA products, as well as free 'Just-in-case protection, insuring your product in case of damage during delivery or assembly.
Drawbacks of the IKEA Family card
It's not the best loyalty card on the market, as you can only get discounts on specific items, which often aren't things you necessarily need or want.
How does H&M Membership work?
If you sign up for an H&M membership, you can start collecting points on your purchases. You will get one point for every £1 spent online or in-store at H&M. Membership is completely free and when you join, you'll receive 10% off your first purchase.
H&M membership comes with a bunch of rewards including special member prices, bonus vouchers, free delivery on orders over £30 and 25% off any item on your birthday.
How much are H&M points worth?
For every 100 points you earn, you will get a £3 bonus voucher. So in money terms, you need to spend £100 to get a £3 reward. However, there are a few tips below on other ways to earn points that don't cost you anything.
If you reach 300 points, you will automatically be upgraded to a Plus membership which gives you access to further benefits and offers, including free delivery with no minimum spend.
Extra ways to earn H&M points
- Complete your profile – Completing your profile on the app earns you an extra 20 points.
- Recycle your clothes – Take your unwanted garments in-store to be recycled and you will earn 20 points. Find out more in our guide to making money from recycling.
- Bring your own bag – Using your own bag when you shop in-store earns you an extra 3 points.
- Invite your friends – Inviting your friends to become members will earn you an extra 50 points for every new member who completes their first purchase.
Drawbacks of H&M Membership
Vouchers cannot be used on certain collections or to purchase gift cards.
A maximum of five bonus vouchers can be earned each month and a maximum of 20 bonus vouchers in a year.
Bonus vouchers will expire six months after issue. You'll be able to find the expiry date on the voucher so make sure you don't miss it!Keep in mind that fast fashion is very harmful to the planet, so when possible, it's best to avoid it. For alternative places to shop, try these sustainable fashion brands.
How does the myWaitrose card work?
You don't earn points with a myWaitrose card. Instead, you'll get access to freebies, discounts and other offers.
Waitrose isn't exactly the cheapest supermarket out there and the myWaitrose card doesn't offer much in terms of rewards. So, this is probably only going to be of use to those who can afford to shop there anyway.
Why should you get a myWaitrose card?
- Exclusive discounts – Every week, Waitrose will send you relevant vouchers and coupons based on your spending history.
- Fish Fridays and Sizzling Saturdays – Every Friday you'll get 20% off selected fish from the fish counter. On Saturdays, you can get 20% off selected meats from the meat counter.
- Scan Pay Go – You know those little gadgets you can carry around the shop with you to scan your shopping as you go? It's called Scan Pay Go, and it's exclusively available to myWaitrose cardholders.
- Free hot drink – Enjoy a free hot drink from the self-serve machine with any purchase in-store.
- Free Waitrose magazine – Get access to the Waitrose Food, Drink and Health magazines for free.
Drawbacks of the myWaitrose card
Under the previous 'pick your offer' scheme, customers could select 10 items out of hundreds to get 20% off each time they shopped. Since this has been scrapped, some have complained that the offers aren't as relevant.
Looking for more offers? Join our Telegram deals group for a daily round-up of the best deals, straight to your phone.